I don’t know why, but banana bread is somehow a hipster cake. Go to any fancy Berlin cafè and you’ll find banana bread on the menu. Even if they have only three cakes at choice. I printed a recipe long time ago, in the end I always made another one.
With two overripe bananas in my fruit basket, I finally decided upon banana bread today. Since I hadn’t all ingredients at home, I got eager to experiment with the recipe. It worked out well. The banana bread appealed to the eaters and my kitchen still smells amazing.
Here’s the recipe for my banana bread:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 5 dates
- 1 egg
- 175 g sugar
- 1 package vanilla sugar
- 100 ml melted coconut grease (or coconut oil)
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 250 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (natron)
- 1/2 teaspoon backing powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- a bit salt
- 60 g walnuts
- 60 g hacked dark chocolate
- Mash the bananas and the softened dates till they turn into a cream.
- Mix the banana dates cream with the egg, sugar, vanilla sugar, melted coconut grease and buttermilk in a bowl.
- Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a second bowl and add it to the banana dough.
- Add walnuts and chocolate to the prepared dough.
- Place the dough in an oiled loaf pan and bake it 50 minutes at 160 degree.